Walker Assault is a forty-player game mode in Star Wars Battlefront that centers around Rebel Alliance soldiers calling in Y-Wing bombers to destroy Imperial AT-AT walkers. In order to call in their Y-Wings, Rebel soldiers have to activate uplinks scattered around the map and defend them from Imperial forces.
The Rebel Alliance must destroy a group of incoming AT-AT walkers. In order to gain the upper hand against them, they must call in aerial Y-Wing strikes to lower their powerful shields. The ability to launch these strikes is governed by uplink relays scattered around the battlefield. The longer the Alliance controls a relay, the more Y-Wings can be brought to bear on the AT-ATs. Once a Y-Wing has struck, the AT-AT's shielding is temporarily lowered and the walker is vulnerable to concentrated, conventional attack.
The Galactic Empire must keep the Rebels out of the relays long enough for the AT-ATs to reach targeting range. They should rally to defend vulnerable walkers when their shields drop. They also need to plan a defense for when the uplinks are offline to prevent Rebels from re-activating the uplink . On Endor, there is only one AT-AT due to the large trees surrounding the area. On Bespin, there is only one AT-AT due to dense urban environment, making it near impossible for large vehicles to easily traverse the city. It is also slightly smaller.
- X-Wing (available only in first phase, max of three)
- A-Wing (available only in second phase, max of three)
- T-47 Airspeeder (available only in third phase, max of three)
- Cloud Car (Bespin expansion only)
- U-Wing (Scarif expansion only)
- AT-ST (playable throughout, max of two )
- AT-AT (weapon systems only, controllable throughout)
- TIE Fighter (available only in first phase, max of three)
- TIE Interceptor (available only in second phase, max of three)
- Cloud Car (Bespin expansion only, max of two)
These are the maps that Walker Assault is playable on:
- Sorosuub Centroplex
- Twilight on Hoth
- Outpost Beta
- Forest Moon of Endor
- Survivors on Endor
- Jundland Wastes
- Graveyard of Giants
- Cloud City
- Scarif Jungle
- Scarif Beach
- Landing Pad 13
- This is the only game mode where active AT-AT's appear.
- When the uplinks are captured by the rebels, a timer will begin on each uplink. If this timer successfully completes, one Y-Win will be added to the Y-Wing stack. Each Y-Win adds 10 seconds of vulnerability to the AT-ATs when their shields are down.
- Walker Assault is among the most popular game modes.
- This is one of the four base game modes that can never end in a draw, the others being Turning Point, Hero Hunt, and Supremacy. The four expansion pack modes, Extraction, Sabotage, Battle Station, and Infiltration, also cannot end in a draw.
- Walker Assault will be making its return as Galactic Assault on Hoth for the Galactic Empire in Star Wars Battlefront II.