|Weapon(s)||DH-17 Blaster Pistol|
|Abilities||Rapid Pulse Cannon|
Proximity Mines/Orbital Strike
|Appearances||Star Wars Battlefront (2015)|
Nien Nunb is a playable Rebel Alliance hero in Star Wars Battlefront. He is Lando Calrissian's co-pilot in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and is included in the Outer Rim expansion pack. He is currently one of six heroes in the game that never appeared in the original Battlefront games, the others being Greedo, Dengar, Bossk, Jyn Erso, and Orson Krennic.
Nien Nunb is Sullustan from Sullust, the home-world of his people. He led various resistance cells in the city of Pinyunb while also maintaining a career as an active smuggler. He was featured in Battlefront: Twilight Company.Nien Nunb is equipped with a DH-17 Blaster Pistol. The developers describe him as a "Sniper/Engineer hybrid".
Nien Nunb is the only hero/villain character who has no trait whatsoever. His actions upgrade his turret instead.
His hero abilities include:
- Rapid Pulse Cannon: A variant of the Pulse Cannon star card. This ability does more damage than the regular Pulse Cannon and recharges at a much faster rate. It also has a different crosshair.
- Augmented Turret: A deployable turret that upgrades as damage is dealt to other heroes/soldiers. The upgraded version of the turret locks on faster and fires explosives rounds. It only upgrades if he gains kills or damage on enemy heroes.
- Proximity Mines/Orbital Strike: The third ability varies depending on the map. On smaller gamemodes, Nien Nunb is equipped with Proximity mines. Up to 4 mines can be deployed at a time. On larger 40 player gamemodes the Proximity mines are replaced by an Orbital Strike ability allowing Nien Nunb to potentially deal a lot of damage, and launch a strike that's much longer than a regular orbital strike.
Nien Nunb is mainly used as a sniper. A general strategy when using him is to find cover, use a turret to cover one of of your flanks, and give yourself a small minefield on the side opposite of the turret. Then you can use his Rapid Pulse Cannon as his main weapon. His DH-17 is mainly a sidearm used to protect himself should anyone get close to him. It is generally unwise to charge into battle with him, as he doesn't have near the survivability that other heroes have, such as Luke Skywalker, Bossk, or Greedo. The way to get Nien Nunb many kills is to place his Augmented Turret at a vantage point where it is liable to get kills and also keeping away the Imperials as much as possible. If you are using Nien Nunb in a map like Forest Moon of Endor or Survivors of Endor or any other maps that interferes Nien Nunb's sight, you can use the Orbital Strike as a scan pulse or Scout Binoculars in order to find incoming Imperials to be on the safe side.
To use Nien Nunb more effectively along with the Pulse Cannon, get him at high places like the broken ship in Jakku where there is cover for him to hide. Although, Nien Nunb could be exposed and very likely to be spotted by Imperials while using the Pulse Cannon or Orbital Strike.
- While playing as Nien Nunb, there is a glitch which makes it possible to fly great distances with the character. When rolling up a hill, Nien Nunb will be launched into the air at a great speed, potentially crossing the entire map. This glitch can be used to get on top of otherwise unreachable locations. It is unknown if this will be patched.
- Nien Nunb is currently the only character to have different abilities depending on the game mode.
- He is the first of the Rebel heroes who isn't human, the other being Chewbacca.
- Nien Nunb is the only hero who has an ability that is similar to a power up.
- An interview with Matt Fillbrandt revealed that Nien Nunb was chosen as a playable hero due to a number of reasons: him being a Sullustan, him being a well-loved icon from Return of the Jedi and his more recent appearance in The Force Awakens. Additionally the interview mentioned that his Rapid Pulse Cannon ability was inspired by his Ace Pilot status, as the developers thought it would make him a precise aimer.
- Nien Nunb is one of the first DLC heroes, the other being Greedo.
- At least one of emotes is from the Return of the Jedi, a confirmed one is a short laugh.