- "I will show them the true nature of the Force"
- — Intro Dialogue
Emperor Palpatine, also known as Darth Sidious, is a playable Hero character in Star Wars Battlefront. He is currently one of the three heroes in the game that can spawn bodyguards. Unlike the original games, he doesn't float. Darth Sidious is voiced by Sam Witwer.
Despite looking frail and weak, Emperor Palpatine is equipped with a variety of combat and support abilities to help turn the tide of battle. Darth Sidious can also use the Force to block a variety of attacks and weapons.
Emperor Palpatine is equipped with the following abilities:
- Force Lightning: A powerful Force ability that channels electrical energy into enemies around him and stuns the enemy. This ability is short ranged, so it should be used mostly when the enemy player is close.
- Chain Lightning: Lightning chains between enemy foes when they are grouped together.
- Force Dash: This move allows Palpatine to quickly dash in the direction he's moving. This move actually appeared in Revenge of the Sith, not in the original trilogy.
- Imperial Resources: This support ability that grants additional power to Imperial troops around him. In Hero Hunt and Heroes vs Villains this will spawn a Hero Health pickup which can be used by any Hero character to replenish their health, although players mostly use it for themselves when playing as him.
- Royal Guard: Imperial units can spawn next to Palpatine (when in play) as a Royal Guard. They are equipped with a buffed T-21 Heavy Blaster, Smart Rocket, and Homing Shot as reusable Star Cards. A maximum of two Imperial Guards can be on the map at a time.
- Flight: Unlike in the original games Palpatine doesn't hover constantly however instead of jumping he will "fly" several feet off the ground and slowly descend back to the ground. And while doing this he can use his force dash ability upward and he will gain altitude quickly (therefor making his flight ability more superior to Vader's) before descending.
Emperor Palpatine was given a hero trait, along with the other vanilla heroes in Battlefront, as a part of the Scarif DLC patch. Emperor Palpatine's trait gives him an increased amount of lightning sustainability with each kill or damage dealt to opposing heroes. This means that as Emperor Palpatine increases his trait level, he will be able to use his main lightning attack for a greater period of time. As Emperor Palpatine's trait level increases, his lightning usage rate will decrease. In addition, his lightning recharge rate will increase. With this trait, Emperor Palpatine will be able to use his lightning attack to a much greater extent against his enemies, thus, making him a greater attack threat on the Battlefront to pair with his characteristics as a support hero as well.
Emperor Palpatine trait levels: Edit
Level 1: 9%
Level 2: 18%
Level 3: 25%
- "You will all die as one!"
- — Upon using Chain Lightning
- "I will leave you a burning husk."
- — Upon using Chain Lightning
- "I am all-powerful!"
- — Upon attacking an enemy with standard Lightning
- "You dare approach me?!"
- — Upon being damaged
- "Use this to smash their lines."
- — Upon dropping Imperial Resources/Hero Health Drop
- "Such fragile creatures you are. *laughs*"
- — Upon killing multiple enemies in quick succession
- "I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear."
- — Emote
- "I am quite safe from your pitiful band."
- — Emote
- "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen."
- — Emote
- Emperor Palpatine and Princess Leia's Hero health (Imperial Resources and Supply Drop) were buffed from giving the player 20 health, to now receiving 40 health. This was buffed to allow players to survive longer, as players playing with either the Emperor or Leia on Hero Hunt were killed easily because of the low health of the characters, and the health they received overall from the pickups.
- When Battlefront was originally released, Palpatine was criticized of being "weak", such as his force lightning draining very quickly. But he has now been buffed and can hold his own in battle.
- Emperor Palpatine's theme music comes from the song, Battle of Endor II Medley from the Return of the Jedi OST.
- Emperor Palpatine can also block shots like other force wielders and even deflect lightsaber strikes, however he cannot deflect blaster bolts like Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.
- Palpatine is one of the three heroes that doesn't play like a soldier.
| The Galactic Empire |
|NPC Units||Stormtrooper · Demolition Trooper · Biker Scout · Shock Trooper · Jump Trooper · Shadow Trooper · Viper Probe Droid|
|Heroes||Darth Vader · Boba Fett · Emperor Palpatine · Greedo* · Dengar* · Bossk* · Orson Krennic* · Unidentified Imperial pilot|
|Hero Bodyguards||Imperial Royal Guards (For Emperor Palpatine) · Victor 2 and 3 (For TIE Advanced) · Death Troopers (For Orson Krennic)|
|Vehicles||AT-AT · AT-ST · TIE Fighter · TIE Interceptor · 74-Z Speeder Bike · Lambda Shuttle · Slave I · Cloud Car · TIE Advanced · Imperial Star Destroyer · TIE Defender · TIE Bomber · AT-ACT
* = Expansion Pack Content
|Playable Troopers||Stormtrooper · Scout Trooper · Shadow Trooper · Shock Trooper · Pauldron Stormtrooper · Imperial Officer · Death Star Trooper · Shoretrooper Captain|